Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Dancing thru life...


He taught me to dance.  Not just on the dance floor, but thru life.  Sometimes to the beat of the music and sometimes to the beat of my own drum, but always to dance.

He taught me to be strong.  Standing up for what's right.  Standing up for those who can't stand for themselves. Never being afraid to speak my mind. I sometimes think he regretted he taught me that lesson so well.  Knowing that there were times I may end up hurt or targeted because I refused to stay silent. I, however, have NEVER regretted that lesson.

He taught me to be a winner, but also that there are more important things in life than only winning.  And that sometimes you learn more from the times you lose.

He taught me to be modest.  He told me that when you are good at something you don't have to boast.  You don't have to tell others how good you are, because if you ARE that good, then others will tell you.

He taught me to be kind and generous. To be thoughtful. If there is a way to help make someone's life a little easier or their day a little brighter, then it is ALWAYS worth the effort. Take the time to do for others and do so, with no expectation of getting anything in return. 

He taught me to be honest..to be truthful.  People may not always like what you say, but they will respect you for it. 

My dad taught me so many lessons and although I have not always lived up to his example..I continue to try to lead my life in a way he would be proud.  I hope he can always look over me and be proud of the woman I've become.

I am certainly proud of the man he was and I hope he is still dancing.


1 comment: