Friday, May 15, 2009

The journey begins...

So I have now been in Washington for a little over 27 hrs. The trip here really went as smoothly as it could have. Each flight was on time and each flight was pretty painless. I sat next to nice incessant talkers or stinky people who hog the middle was quite pleasant actually. But do not let that fool you into thinking that I did not encounter some interesting folks along they way. I LOVE to people watch. I always have, in fact, when we would go to Cedar Point every year as a kid I loved watching the couples with the matching shirts just about as much as riding the rides. It just really amuses me to watch human behavior.

So I need to tell you about some of the interesting folks I encountered along the way. It started in Detroit. From the woman in the check in line who I think wanted to become my best friend. At least she acted that way..asking me all about where I was going, who I was going to see, why I wanted to see was little annoying, but at the same time a little sad because I felt like if I didn't take interest in her she wouldn't have any meaningful contact with another person that day. It seemed that she travelled all the time for her job and yet had no one to travel made me really appreciate that I have had Joel to miss for the past month and that I am now getting to go be with him again. But the one person that took the cake was a young woman in Detroit. I was sitting at my gate reading a magazine when I heard a woman raising her voice and telling someone to "stay there". of course i turned to see where the commotion was coming from and there was a young woman, maybe mid to late twenties, walking down the hallway with one boy in her arms and yelling at two more boys who were running down the walk tram. All of the boys looked to be in the 4-6 yr. old range. Now I'm not sure if she was the mother or caretaker or what but she definitely was overwhelmed. The boy in her arms was crying and the other two were running wild on the walk tram. She was screaming at them and they would get to the end of the tram and then jump on going the other way. This had to happen 3-4 times before she finally disappeared from the direction she came. People sitting around me looked at each other. Some were smiling, others rolling their eyes, and I was texting Joel like crazy telling him what was going on. Well sure enough, here they come again. Except this time she had the two that were on the walk tram by the hands and was yelling at them..saying "There are BAD people in the airport that will take you! Is that what you want? Do you want to be DEAD??!! Now we were all looking at each other in disbelief. And where was the 3rd kid? You got it...the walk tram...running up and down it like the other two were earlier. This woman had NO control and I wasn't sure if I was mad at her or just felt sorry for her that she had no help with these children. I do know one thing..I was praying they were not on my flight! (thankfully, they weren't) Finally another young woman who was probably in her 30's stepped up to the woman and asked if she could help. She went down to the one end of the tram and rode with the 3rd boy back towards the crazy lady. Once they reached her the lady took him by the hand and the saintly woman who jumped in to help took the other two by the hand. The last I saw the good Samaritan was walking nicely with the two boys she had by the hand and the crazy lady was dragging the 3rd boy by one arm down the corridor because he refused to stand and walk. I'm still not sure how I feel about the whole spectacle but it sure did make for some interesting people watching.

Anyhow, we touched down in Pasco, WA at 6:00pm Pacific Time. They have a very small airport and so when I came off the plane Joel was waiting just a few yards away. You couldn't wipe the smile off our faces and it was the best hug and kiss I've had in a long time. I was just relieved to be back with my best friend and for the first time in a long time I felt myself EXHALE.

No comments:

Post a Comment